Summer is in full swing, and here at Holly Tree of Brentwood, we believe that water safety is extremely important! Water safety includes in the bathtub, swimming pool, oceans, lakes, and ponds. We know that all of these places can provide relief from the scorching sun and high temperatures, but it is important to exercise extreme caution with your children when visiting these places. According to Kidsheath.org, drowning is the second leading cause of death in children ages 5-24. Please check out these awesome tips for a happy and healthy summer! Here are some general tips about water safety:
- Young children are especially vulnerable to drowning: they can drown in less than 2 inches of water. This means drowning can happen in unexpected places such as the sink, the toilet bowl, fountains, buckets, or inflatable pools. All children need to be supervised when around any body of water.
- Check into learning how to swim. Children who are older than 4 years old, should also take swimming lessons as well.
- Invest in proper fitting, Coast-Guard approved flotation devices, or life jackets. Check the size and weight recommendation on the label and then be sure that it fits snugly. Inflatable vests and arm devices such as water wings are not are not effective protection against drowning.
- Don't forget the sunscreen and re-apply frequently especially if the kids are getting wet. UV sunglasses, hats, and protective clothing can also help provide sun protection.
- Kids should drink plenty of fluids, especially water, to prevent dehydration. It is very easy to get dehydrated in the sun, especially when kids are active and sweating.
Please follow these tips for a healthy and fun summer! For more information on this topic , please visit:
For more information about our program, please visit our website at http://www.hollytreechildcare.com