Monday, February 19, 2018
Flu shots are not foolproof and how well they work can vary season to season and how well the virus strains in the vaccine match up with the viruses circulating in the community. According to the Centers for Diseases Control, the vaccine was about 52 percent effective during the last flu season and about 60 percent effective the year before. However, the vaccine can also lessen flu symptoms if you do catch a cold.
So what's a good healthy person to do? Here are 6 easy ways to stay healthy during the cold and flu season.
- Exercise and meditate (not necessarily in that order): New research suggests that regular exercise and meditation may be among the best ways to reduce acute respiratory infections. Run on the treadmill, do yoga, walk, stretch and sniffle less.
- Get your share of protein: Protein helps your body to produce immune cells, which in turn help fight infection! Good sources of protein includes: fish, eggs nuts and seeds, lentils, beans and tofu. An added bonus is that many of these foods also contain valuable infection fighting zinc and magnesium.
- Minimize stress: Stress puts lots of wear and tear on many of your body's systems. Your immune system, for one, is adly compromised, making it tougher to fight off germs. Try some meditation to deal with stress.
- Be anti-social: While it's true that being around friends can boost good health, this does not apply to when they are coughing or sneezing. Staying three feet or more away will help keep you in the "safe zone."
- Carry your own stash: You'll be surprised at how much you touch your face, so keeping hand sanitizers around can be very handy.
- Get enough Zzzz's: Getting less than seven hours of sleep a night can increase your susceptibility to germs. Sleep helps your body function at its optimal level by producing protective substances that help you fight infections or inflammation.
Take charge of your health this cold and flu season!
Friday, February 16, 2018
Friday, February 9, 2018
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
Here are a few photos of when Elsa and Olaf took over HTB!
The children loved the special visitors and every room played "Let It Go" and had a dance party! Some of the older children asked Elsa for more snow!
Everyone had a blast!
Elsa was provided by KS Engagements. She can do birthday parties and more! Pick up a business card at the front desk!